Thursday, June 12, 2014

Weeds in the Garden

Spring is here finally.  We've had a very wintry winter to say the least. It's been a while since we've had so much snow and I personally enjoyed it.  Well, once I got back into town.  The boys and I were in Florida the day it snowed and I wondered how soon we could get back due to the road conditions in South Carolina.  Thankfully the roads were passable the day we planned to head back. One of the first things I did in late February was cover my garden beds with black plastic.  The idea was to heat and cook the seeds that laid in them over the winter.  This way they wouldn't sprout into seedlings later.  For the most part it seemed to work in the beds.






But as you can see my mulch areas are full of weeds and the beds seem to be clear for the most part.  I think maybe next spring I should just cover the whole thing. You never know it might save a lot of back breaking work pulling weeds.  Oh true I'd rather pull weeds than do the dishes any day, but when you have so many it seems never ending.

This year I took out the pole beans and I'm trying Pumpkins instead.  Oh don't worry I have beans in there. I always do bush beans in my garden, long before I started doing pole beans.  Anyway I thought I'd let the pumpkins trail over the edge of the bed onto the mulch area.  Can't wait to see how they turn out.  Who knows maybe the boys will be craving our own pumpkins into Jack-O-Lanterns this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment