Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Aunt B's Fresh Beets

For the first time I decided to try to grow beets in my garden.  I guess the reason I've never tried to grow them is because no one else in my house likes them.  Most of us seem to associate them to holidays, such as Easter.  We just don't think about eating them on a regular basis.  Did you know the tops are editable, too?  I've never given that a thought either.  I haven't done anything with the tops just yet, but I plan on pulling out my Grandmother old cookbook to see whats in there for the tops.  As it is you can google beet tops recipes and find several ideas there. I love Google! Don't you?  Anyway, here's basically what I did with my beets.


After washing them real good and cut off the tops. I peeled them just like a carrot and cut them into quarters. Oh by the way I added 1" cut carrots with my beets once, so don't just stop at beets.  I tossed them in a tablespoon of olive oil. Remember I only had about five beets here, so if you have more beets add more olive oil.  I added some fresh chopped herbs from my herbs.  This time I added Thyme and Sage.  Not too much, but enough to give it a wonderful smell. I also sprinkled a teaspoon of Kosher Salt on them.


After making sure they are coated real good I wrapped them in foil and roasted them in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.  The end results were heavenly and it was a quick & easy side dish.  Even if it's for just one.




2 comments:

  1. For the tops just steam them like you would spinach or use them fresh in a salad.

    True story - Years ago while taking care of a church member's 2 year old daughter at my apartment we laid down for a nap. When i woke up she wasn't where she was supposed to be. After looking for her in her usual hiding spots I found her outside picking and eating all the beet greens from my beets. She loved them that much. I had to plant more seeds but had some for her every time she came to visit even during the winter. Those I did in a container on the window ledge.


    ReplyDelete
  2. Emaegf, I just love that! Ever since you said about the container I've been eye balling a container for just that.

    ReplyDelete