Saturday, January 26, 2013

Brussel Sprouts with Bacon

One of my boys complained to me about eating the same vegetables for dinner. Well, heck I cooked something else for him if he'd eat it! I'm always trying stuff and he turns his nose up to it. I made these one night and had to make him put them on his plate. LOL This morning I asked him if he liked them and he said they were okay. Then I asked would you eat them if I made them again. His answer "I don't know, maybe." Thank goodness I don't just cook for him or we'd never have brussel sprouts or asparagus.  As for my oldest he ate them the first time, but couldn't bring himself to eat them the second time. No that's not really true. He was trying to eat them, but was gagging on the second bite. Now he has an excuse. He's autistic and some things just don't look appealing (green or white) or they don't feel right in his mouth (soft). He'll eat green beans right out of the garden, but not cooked.  He won't eat mashed potatoes, but prefers vanilla icing (who doesn't). When it comes to him I never know until he tries it, so I always put a small amount on his plate just to see if he can eat it. You notice I didn't say will eat it. When it comes to peas I have to mix them into his rice otherwise he gags. Here's how I made the Brussel Sprouts and yes I'll make them again just for me.

Brussel Sprouts with Bacon

2 tbls Olive Oil
1 med Onion chopped
4 slices of Bacon sliced
2 tbls Maple Syrup
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat the Olive Oil in a skillet over med-high heat. Chop the onion and add it to the skillet. Cut the Bacon into 1" slices and add that to the skillet. Cook until the onion is a golden brown. Remove the onion and bacon to a paper towel on a plate leaving the drippings in the skillet. I was using my cast iron skillet and had to add a little more oil to the drippings. If you are using a non-stick skillet you may not need to do that.  Add the brussel sprouts to the skillet and cover. Allow them to cook covered without turning for about 5 or 6 minutes. Add back the bacon and onion tossing it around and cover. Let them cook for about another five minutes stirring once in while. You want them tender not soggy. Once they are nice and tender drizzle the maple syrup stirring them to coat them real good. Salt and pepper to taste or leave it out.

Try them on your kids. If they still don't like brussel sprout then make them for yourself. I know they were good, because my brother had seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment